Become part of a community dedicated to students with learning differences.
Beacon College is an equal access/equal opportunity institution committed to affirmative action and advocates a drug-free environment. Beacon College seeks qualified and diverse candidates with multicultural experience including members of protected class groups. Beacon College is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO).
Office of Human Resources
Beacon College is dedicated to attracting talented, high caliber staff and supporting all employees in their professional development. Positions currently open are listed below:
Positions at Beacon College
Beacon College is a private, liberal arts community that is experiencing carefully managed, robust growth among its full-time, largely residential undergraduate population. The College enjoys the distinction and legacy of being the first four-year institution in the United States regionally-accredited to award bachelor degrees exclusively to students with specific learning disabilities and/or ADHD.
Over close to 30 years, Beacon has continuously assessed and strengthened an effective undergraduate teaching model that is paralleled by and aligned with the academic personal support essential to collegiate success. As a consequence, the College’s student outcomes in measures such as persistence, four-year graduation, and post-degree employment are unsurpassed in American higher education. Set in historic Leesburg, amidst the beautiful lakes region of Central Florida, Beacon College is less than one hour’s drive to Orlando and an hour from both the State’s east and west coast beaches and shorelines.
Beacon’s Center for Student Success is currently recruiting for Learning Specialists, a pivotal role in the delivery and coherence of the College’s program of academic and developmental support. Successful candidates will be informed (through both professional preparation and experience), dedicated, and hands-on educational practitioners who welcome the opportunity to work one-on-one and in group settings with. The position requires of the incumbent a facility in guiding the acquisition learning techniques and strategies, addressing executive function deficits, and supporting and reinforcing critical thinking skills.
The Learning Specialist helps students to develop compensatory skills to improve academic performance, monitors and assesses student progress, provides substantive feedback, and works collaboratively with faculty, staff and families to foster student success. Undergraduate caseloads consist of between 25 and 28 assigned students during the fall and spring semesters. Successful candidates will have the opportunity to consider either a 10-month (no summer work) or 12-month, renewable position.
Qualifications: Requires a Master degree with a concentration in Special Education, Teaching and Learning, or a related field in education, psychology, or rehabilitation. The candidate must demonstrate excellence in working with students with a range of abilities. Experience working with students with learning disabilities and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder is preferred, and understanding and professionalism are required.
Beacon College offers a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefit program and rewarding employment in a growing educational community. Beacon is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO). The College seeks qualified and diverse candidates with multicultural experience including members of protected class groups. To find out more about our community please visit our website at www.beaconcollege.edu
Beacon College was the first undergraduate institution in the United States accredited to award bachelor degrees exclusively to students with learning disabilities and/or ADHD. We are committed to student success, offering academic and personal support services that help each student achieve his/her life goals. Beacon College is a growing community that is welcoming, accepting, and supportive of each community member. Set in the historic downtown of Leesburg, Florida, amidst beautiful lakes, Beacon College is close to Orlando and within an easy drive of many other points of interest in Florida. The Business & Technology Department is currently recruiting for a faculty member to teach Hospitality and Business Management courses. We seek a dedicated hands-on instructor who is willing to work one-on-one and in group classroom setting needed.
The instructor provides direct instruction and hands on learning to create an engaging educational environment, monitors and assesses student learning outcomes, provides substantive feedback, working collaboratively with faculty and staff to enhance instruction, curriculum, and learning support. Workload consists of five fall, five spring, and one four week summer course, as well as participating in service to the community. The exact courses will be determined by the Department Chair. There is the possibility of appointment as an Assistant Professor depending on credentials and experience.
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will have experience teaching courses designed for improving student skill and knowledge required for professional employment. Candidate must be dedicated to our student population. Must use hands-on, direct instruction in classroom and one-on-one settings. Willingness to employ research centered practices for teaching students with a learning disability and a high patience level required. Experience teaching students with learning disabilities and ADHD preferred. Master degree with a minimum of 18 semester credit hours in Hospitality required.
Application: Candidates should apply with a cover letter, CV, unofficial transcripts of highest degree awarded, a statement of teaching philosophy, and contact information for three references to: the Director of Human Resources and Risk Management E-mail submissions are preferred and can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Beacon College offers a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefit program and rewarding employment in a growing educational community. Beacon College is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO). Beacon College seeks qualified and diverse candidates with multicultural experience including members of protected class groups. To find out more about the Beacon College community please visit our website at www.beaconcollege.edu
Coordinator Of Club And Recreational Sports
The Coordinator will report to and work co1laboratively with the Director of Fitness and Recreation to build a club and recreational sports program that meets the needs of both new and current students at Beacon College. As we are in the beginning stages of our Club and Recreational Sports program, we are looking for someone that will help to build a strong and vibrant program over several years. The coordinator provides oversight of all Club Sports and recreational sports activities to help cultivate a positive campus environment that promotes student involvement, learning, and personal development. This position assists with managing our club sports by being a liaison to the clubs, providing leadership and mentoring to club officers and club members, facility scheduling, and budget planning. Most of all, this position requires someone who is flexible and has a positive attitude.
The following duties are customary for this position, however, this may not to be construed as all-inclusive.
Duties may be assigned, added or removed per management discretion and institutional needs.
- Actively work to recruit students to participate in current Club Sports Teams and on campus recreational sports.
- Expand the Club Sports program through the creation of additional Club Sports Teams. Help students start a new club sport. Help to develop the criteria that is needed to start a club.
- Check inventory, create an inventory list for each Club Sport and recreational sport in the Dept.
- Arrange for transportation of students to Club Sports and recreational sports games, practices, and meetings.
- Organize scrimmages, leagues, and tournaments for our Club Sports teams.
- Making sure students know the club sports tournament rules and are practicing in compliance with those rules.
- Supervise recreational sports and student support staff to make sure students are having fun and safe.
- Make sure equipment is up to date, clean and ready to use.
- Develop and design a student leadership program for the sports club leaders.
- Supporting Beacon College’s commitment to being an engaged, culturally inclusive campus through program development and individual professional development.
- Work to create a safe, inclusive, educational, and student driven Club Sports Program.
- Work collaboratively with Director of Fitness & Recreation to develop and implement risk management practices.
- Take video and photos of all events
- Participation in all Fitness & Recreation Department events such as the end of semester student v staff games, Annual 5k, etc.
- Evaluate and assess the effectiveness of Departmental efforts through survey instruments to continually improve the orientation and first year experience programs;
- Complete Annual Reports that contain strengths and accomplishments of the Department, assessment results, and improvements made based on the assessment results;
- Attending all meetings as called by the President, the Vice President of Academic & Student Affairs, or the Dean of Student Affairs;
- Serving on College committees as assigned;
- Represent the department and Student Affairs at College programs and events;
- All other duties as assigned.
- Minimum: Bachelor’s Degree in Exercise Science, Kinesiology, Sports Management, or College Student Personnel required; Master’s Degree preferred.
- 1-3 years of experience in Campus Recreation of relevant field required.
- Willing to work afternoons, evenings, nights and Weekends
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to work with a diverse group of staff and students
Beacon College is currently recruiting for a full-time Reference Librarian to provide library services during afternoon/evening and weekend hours, reporting to the Director of Library Resources. This position works a 10 month academic schedule with additional time off during holiday breaks. The ideal applicant should have a passion for emerging technologies, providing exceptional customer service, and collaborating with coworkers to create a learning-centered atmosphere for our students.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Reference Librarian will perform first point of contact duties in greeting faculty, staff, students and the general public and will; assist faculty and students in locating needed information via the OPAC and library databases; provide personalized database instruction in the classroom, collaborate with faculty to implement new services and resources in order to keep current with student needs, supervise work-study students/volunteers and the library in general during evening and weekend hours; conduct workshops and other activities in order to promote library services, create Libguides, informational brochures and signs to promote library services; provide basic technological support to copiers, printers, scanners, Mac and PC computers in the library; assist students with computer software, including but not limited to Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Publisher, WordQ and Dragon Speak; promptly shelf or re-shelf books and other materials; check library materials in and out; perform opening and closing procedures for the library on evenings and weekends. Tentative Scheduled Hours: Mon-Thurs: 1pm-9pm; and Sunday: 11:00 a.m.-7:00 p.m. OR Saturday 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Hours may change slightly based on user demand.
- Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited program completed or nearing completion
- 2+ years working in a library setting, preferably an academic library
- 1+ years working in a supervisory capacity
- Outstanding customer service skills
- Experience using a variety of research databases and print resources
- Familiarity with Library of Congress classification system
- Demonstrated self-starter skills
- Strong technology skills, including Microsoft Office products, Outlook email, Windows & Mac machines, copiers, scanners, etc
- Excellent oral and written communication skills