Become part of a community dedicated to students with learning differences.
Beacon College is an equal access/equal opportunity institution committed to affirmative action and advocates a drug-free environment. Beacon College seeks qualified and diverse candidates with multicultural experience including members of protected class groups. Beacon College is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO).
Office of Human Resources
Beacon College is dedicated to attracting talented, high caliber staff and supporting all employees in their professional development. Positions currently open are listed below:
Beacon College is currently recruiting for a full-time Reference Librarian to provide library services during afternoon/evening and weekend hours, reporting to the Director of Library Resources. This position works a 10 month academic schedule with additional time off during holiday breaks. The ideal applicant should have a passion for emerging technologies, providing exceptional customer service, and collaborating with coworkers to create a learning-centered atmosphere for our students.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Reference Librarian will perform first point of contact duties in greeting faculty, staff, students and the general public and will; assist faculty and students in locating needed information via the OPAC and library databases; provide personalized database instruction in the classroom, collaborate with faculty to implement new services and resources in order to keep current with student needs, supervise work-study students/volunteers and the library in general during evening and weekend hours; conduct workshops and other activities in order to promote library services, create Libguides, informational brochures and signs to promote library services; provide basic technological support to copiers, printers, scanners, Mac and PC computers in the library; assist students with computer software, including but not limited to Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Publisher, WordQ and Dragon Speak; promptly shelf or re-shelf books and other materials; check library materials in and out; perform opening and closing procedures for the library on evenings and weekends. Tentative Scheduled Hours: Mon-Thurs: 1pm-9pm; and Sunday: 11:00 a.m.-7:00 p.m. OR Saturday 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Hours may change slightly based on user demand.
- Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited program completed or nearing completion
- 2+ years working in a library setting, preferably an academic library
- 1+ years working in a supervisory capacity
- Outstanding customer service skills
- Experience using a variety of research databases and print resources
- Familiarity with Library of Congress classification system
- Demonstrated self-starter skills
- Strong technology skills, including Microsoft Office products, Outlook email, Windows & Mac machines, copiers, scanners, etc
- Excellent oral and written communication skills