Daily physical activity isn’t just good for the body; it helps sharpen the mind, too. It is especially critical for college students to engage in some sort of activity to help maintain balance and wellbeing. BeaconFit offers a wide range of possibilities.
Every member of the Beacon community is invited to play in our no-cost intramural sports program. It’s a fun way to interact with other students, faculty and staff while blowing off some steam. Offerings vary from semester to semester, depending on interest. In prior years, we have offered:
- Ultimate Frisbee
- Flag Football
BeaconFit provides free personal fitness and strength training to students, regardless of fitness level. Our trainers are certified through the Aerobics and Fitness Association of America (AFAA). Appointments are available five days per week. Personal training can be a great way to get started for those who are too shy to work with a group. It can also be a way to focus steadily on personal fitness goals, whether they are centered on losing weight, gaining muscle mass or increasing flexibility.
Sometimes it’s just more fun to play with other people. BeaconFit offers daily group classes that will get your mind off your studies and your body in motion. Typical offerings include:
- Beginners: This moderate intensity class will get you started with stretches and smooth transitions between exercises so you can build up your endurance.
- Weight Training: Who says weightlifting can’t be fun? This class will show you the basics of building strength and muscle mass. You will also learn how to use the equipment properly and maintain form to avoid injury and get great results.
- Zumba: Imagine a total workout, combining cardio, muscle conditioning, balance and flexibility. That’s Zumba! It’s just like a calorie-burning dance fitness party that boosts your energy and gives you a serious dose of awesome every time.
- Yoga: This ages-old practice increases flexibility, improves spinal alignment, builds strength and enhances peace of mind. Although participants work in a group setting, the instructor provides plenty of individual attention. Everyone is welcome regardless of fitness level or yoga experience.
- HIIT: When you’re really serious about getting – or staying – fit, High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT is for you). It utilizes aerobic (cardio) and anaerobic (muscle-building) intervals to help you get the most from your workout.
There’s no better combination than exercise and the great outdoors. BeaconFit sponsors weekend adventures that bring together students, faculty and staff. It’s a great way to interact informally, get the exercise you need and explore new skills.
Previous events have included:
- Soccer tournaments
- Mountain biking
- 5k runs