Beacon College is the South’s only college exclusively for students with specific learning differences or ADHD and is located in Leesburg, Florida – approximately one-hour northwest of sunny Orlando, Florida.
The Office of Enrollment Management has an opening for the position of Transition Counselor. This full-time, on-campus, 12-month position will work with prospective students and parents by executing the transition-to-college programming for soon-to-be enrolled undergraduate students.
The ideal candidate will possess a team-orientated spirit, the ability to work collaboratively with internal and external constituents, and the skills and motivation to deliver outstanding customer service.
Qualified candidates must have outstanding communication skills, demonstrate strong organizational and time management skills and have experience creating programming to support the transition-to-college for students with learning differences.
Essential Job Functions:
- Facilitates transition programming with students during the pre-enrollment process (Navigator PREP).
- Serves as a resource to families, parents, students and educational professionals in providing specific information about Beacon’s transition planning model and describes the plan recommended to best meet the needs of each individual student.
- Gathers information and reliable data regarding outside colleges based on student choice for post-secondary environment.
- Evaluates and gathers data on the effectiveness of transition programming
- Keeps records of appropriate documentation of each selected enrolled student during the transition process.
- Engages in active program recruitment including school visits, conferences, and other opportunities.
- Participates in supporting first-year on-campus students in the Triadic Model.
- Serves as an academic coach for Beacon Foundations (Fall and Spring semesters)
- Supports departmental (and outside department) initiatives as requested such as Summer for Success, The College Edge, Fall Move-In, Orientation, Parent Weekend, Professional Fly-In
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree in counseling, education, special education, psychology, or a related field preferred
- Mission-focused and motivated by success defined as fostering and supporting the success of others; must be someone who cares and is motivated by the success of students with specific learning disabilities and ADHD.
- Preferred 1-3 years of experience in college transition programming and/or college/private school environments.
- Ability to work independently and in groups
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills
- Comfortable and skilled with technology, including videoconferencing platforms