Who is eligible?
We are seeking students who:
- Have a documented disability (learning or physical)
- Have a high school diploma or GED (by May 2021)
- Can demonstrate basic digital literacy
- Have at least a 10th grade math and reading comprehension
- Can commit to an intensive 40-week, full-time program
- Are legally authorized to work in the U.S.
Is this you? Click here to apply online.
- Through June 2021 – Accepting applications
- June 2021 through October 2021 – Candidate assessment and selection
- October 2021 through July 2022 – Nine months of hybrid virtual and classroom learning
- July 2022 through October 2022 – Three (or more) months of guided internships or apprenticeships provided by Beacon Academy sponsors
What does it cost?
This training program is provided free to eligible students. The goal of the program is to bridge the gap between unemployed or underemployed adults with disabilities and local employers who are in desperate need of skilled and motivated applicants.
However, students are responsible for their own living and travel expenses for the duration of the program.
- Step 1: Complete your application online.
- Step 2: We will confirm receipt and completion of your application, request any additional documentation, and provide instructions.
- Step 3: We will require you to apply for Florida Vocational Rehabilitation benefits, if you have not done so already. If you are not currently enrolled in Florida VR, let us know and we can assist you through this process.
- Step 4: This summer, we will schedule math, reading and digital literacy testing for all eligible applicants.
- Step 5: If accepted to the program, you will receive additional information about the program location and schedule.
The Results: Hear from a Graduate
Nicole Taylor, a recent graduate of the Exceptional Academy (a partner program hosted in Detroit, MI), speaks of her experience seeking employment. As a disabled veteran with mobility issues, Nicole tried everything to line up a job to support her family with no success. After enrolling in the Academy program – a fully-funded IT training program, she was able to turn her career around in less than 12 months.
Listen to Nicole’s full story: