Dollars and sense.
There are many ways to pay for college education. Beacon’s Financial Aid team is available to help guide you through the process and answer your questions.
Establish what you need
Some grants and scholarships are based on academic, athletic or some other accomplishment. Most financial aid is based on need, which is calculated according to a standard formula. Two resources will help you get started:
- Net Price Calculator – will help you get a preliminary estimate of federal, state and institutional aid that might be available for your family
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid – is used to determine eligibility for need-based financial aid using your family’s prior-prior year income tax returns (typically the last return filed)
Understand what’s available
Here’s a snapshot of the types of financial aid that have previously been available to Beacon students. Click on the specific program for more information.
Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant
|State of Florida||Florida Bright Futures Academic Scholars
Florida Bright Futures Medallion Scholars
|Loans||Federal||Federal Direct Student Loans
PLUS Loans for Parents of Undergraduate Students
|Private||Several private lenders have made loans to Beacon students in the past|
|Scholarships||Private||A wide range of scholarships for students who learn differently or meet other specific criterial are available from private foundations.|
|VA Benefits||Federal||GI Bill Veteran and Dependent Benefits|
|Work-Study Programs||Federal||Federal Work Study|
|State of Florida||Florida Work Experience Program|
Beacon College School Code: FAFSA 033733
In addition to qualifying for need-based aid, there are some other strategic options that you may wish to consider to help offset the cost impact of attending Beacon.
- Medical tax deduction: Since Beacon is intended for students with diagnosed learning differences, tuition and fees may qualify as medical tax deduction (consult your tax advisor).
- Florida vocational rehabilitation
- Raise.me: Families who wish to get an early start on planning for college may wish to consider participating in this innovated program, which enables students to earn enables students to earn scholarships throughout high school through academic accomplishment, volunteering and extracurricular activities. Beacon is proud to participate.
- Monthly payment plan: Beacon offers an option that allows you to spread out payments with no interest charges and no credit check and just a small enrollment fee. Families often find that this helps them reduce the need to borrow money. Our partners at Tuition Management Systems (www.afford.com/beaconcollege or 800-722-4867) can help you get started
Visit the Financial Aid Application Process page for all the tools you need to apply for financial aid from a variety of sources.
If you have never before tried to finance a college education – or if it’s been awhile – we understand that it can seem complicated. You’ll find answers to frequently-asked questions here and Beacon staff are always available to discuss your specific concerns. Just call us at 855-220-5374 or email us.